1. This story intertwines mid 1600s colonization by portraying aspects of life in English, French, and Spanish settlement as well as Native American Indian tribal life.
2. This book aligns with the seventh grade Social Studies curriculum and has endless possibilities for cross-curricular projects that involve early colonization or Northeastern Native American tribes.
3. Recognizing lifestyles and influences of Northeastern Native American tribes on European settlers is part of NYS Social Studies curriculum.
4. This book offers numerous possibilities to address Common Core Standards. It includes a Glossary of Words with Historical Significance, map detailing location of early tribes, and historical background information.
5. This historical fiction story will inspire ideas for activities involving primary sources and writing projects.
6. Students in seventh grade English classroom literature circles have read this book and provided excellent reviews. (Student feedback actually contributed to the final version)
7. Written by a former middle school social studies teacher who previously taught AP US History.
Planning on using this book in a middle school ELA or Social Studies classroom. E-mail the author for free resources to accompany the book.
The Adventures of Silas Freethorn; A Puritan Tale is being used as part of the curriculum in Lake George CSD, Schuylerville CSD, and Christian Brothers Academy-Albany.